Sunday, February 6, 2011

Complications...

I really wish I wouldn't have taken for granted how problem-free and text book my last two pregnancies were.  It seems like the time we actually plan a pregnancy - there have to be constant complications.  Yesterday was another long day spent in the ER.

The tiny tornadoes had spent Friday night with my mom so my husband and I could have a break.  My mom lives about 45 minutes from us, so we drove down yesterday to get them.  We had a nice lunch and then decided to make our way up to another nearby city for my nephew's hockey game - another 45 minute drive ahead of us.  About 10 miles down the road, I had this gushing feeling.  I thought I was peeing my pants - although odd to feel like I have no control over the feeling, I didn't put it past my bladder.  I asked if we could stop at the next gas station.  As I stood up to go inside, I had the gushing feeling again.  Totally miffed and kind of pissed at body for doing this to me already, considering there is not a 36 week fetus jumping on my bladder at this point.  As soon as I begin to pull down my pants to sit down in the stall, I see all the blood and realize what the gushing was.

Last week I ordered a fetal heart doppler - so, I've been listening to the baby's heart beat every couple days or so.  The only thing easing my mind when I saw the blood was that we had just listened to the heart beat the night before.

I immediately called up to the OB nurses station at my hospital and they told me to come straight to the ER.  Our really good friends met us at the ER and took our vehicle with the kids back to their house, so we didn't have to worry about what we were going to do with them in the ER.  We really don't know what we would do without good friends like them.

I must state that this ER visit, was nothing like the last as far as service.  Don't get me wrong, the doctor I had was really good, but the nurses weren't anything overly special.  The nurse that brought me back also had a student nurse - as much as I believe everyone has to learn, I really wasn't looking forward to being a demonstration.

They went over 50 questions and I continued to feel the "gush" of more blood while sitting there.  They then had to move me to a different room so the doctor would be able to do an internal exam.  The bed in the room I was in didn't have the stirrups.  Once we got to the other room, they started an IV.  This is where the demonstration side came in.  The student nurse "tried" on top of my right hand - she didn't get it.  So, the experienced nurse comes over and goes at it on my left forearm.  She got it in on her first try, but it BURNED like crazy when she put it in and it NEVER stopped burning until it came out.

Next came ultrasound - as soon as she put the wand on my belly, she turned the screen to me and showed us our ever active baby.  I didn't see the screen much after that because of how she had to be in the small room with her equipment.  My husband did watch and said baby was moving the entire time.

The doctor came at the end and went over all the blood work they had taken and the ultrasound.  Everything looked great, EXCEPT for the bleeding.  At this point, they're labeling it as a "threatened abortion/miscarriage."  Basically, there is nothing they can do for me regarding losing the baby until I'm past 20 weeks.  It's really hard not wanting to find a reason to blame myself for this, but the doctor did his best that there was nothing I did.  He put me on pelvic/bed rest for 48 hours and then I have to call my OB office tomorrow when they open.  I was pretty exhausted by the time we got home and fell asleep right before 9 pm.

Today, I'm still having really mild cramping, but the bleeding seems to have completely diminished (thank goodness).  I still feel kind of off.  I'm just really hoping that if things do get the chance to progress, I don't continue to have problems or possibly have premature labor.  As selfish as this may sound, we really cannot afford for me to end up on bed rest at home (even with the benefits I have through my work).

No comments:

Post a Comment